Saturday, February 14, 2009

Facebook fever?

"We need to be connected in a 'deeper way'.... to be up-close and personal..." - these were some of the liners from the preaching I've heard today, which stuck in my mind and now in my heart since I am writing about it.

As I quote the Pastor in that church, "All these Facebook, Multiply, Friendster, etc. etc. existing that makes the world smaller help us to be connected with one another..." I was repeatedly nodding since I can absolutely relate to the stuffs mentioned especially Facebook and Friendster! lol.

But then, as I listened well about the statement "We need to be connected in a deeper way.." it is being echoed to me over and over again and my on-going contemplation and observation about the usage of stuffs like Facebook and Friendster, and even the Internet macro itself were deepened. As I am a person who always wanted to do things and even connect to people in a very personal way, I feel that I need to be cautious on the way I do things in relating to people using the world wide web.

Let's talk about Facebook now. At least from where I am right now, Facebook usage to the majority (at least in my personal opinion) is overflowing. You will know if a person is sick, if someone had an accident, if someone is sad or happy, if somebody is travelling or having holidays in other places, if one person is cooking or taking shower (can you imagine? :P), or sleeping or whatever lah... via Facebook. And for sure, some people give some comments whenever the "status" is being updated. Good one! From there, I can say that somehow people can show their concerns but for some I can say that they give comments for "fun" and maybe to "bully" others? Ooppss.. beep-beep - no offense ya?

But how is the level of connection using Facebook or other Internet-based tools? Do you think it's on the side of a "deeper" way? Is it that meaningful?

I feel bad whenever I login into my Facebook seeing people talking to each other through it when in fact, they are just sitting right next to each other in their cubicles? Or maybe they are in the same vicinity (or maybe building) that they won't even find time to meet up "personally" and chit-chat? I mean I can understand if the people are way physically far from each other that they "communicate" or "talk" via Facebook or any other "internet-related" means of communication but with such proximity, how can they still make use of Facebook and etc? I remember I asked one friend how is he communicating with his sister. Guess what was the answer? - Facebook. I was like stunned since they aren't really far from each other - for myself, my sister is like oceans apart to me so Internet is useful in that essense :P Me, being a personal person, whenever my cube-mates or colleagues sitting just right next to me update something in their Facebook, I would turn my head, talk, and respond to them face to face! :P

I remember I was shaking my head when I read an email once with pictures of the "new era" ways of communicating. I was like laughing out loud when I saw the photo of describing how the parents from the other room called their son, who is in the other room for dinner - through Internet. I admit, there are times that when I and my housemates are in our own rooms we message one another via Windows Live Messenger, but maybe because we know the importance of "personal touch", we would burst out in laughter and will go out of our rooms and talk personally :)

I'd say those things will describe the level or I'd say "deepness" of their connection huh... what do you think?

I am one person who is in awe with the existence of Internet. I was (or maybe still..I should say..) a chat addict. However, let me share with you that it did NOT stop there. I have a lot of good friends whom I've met through Internet but that was just the start of it and I see to it that I am having that "personal", face-to-face spending of time with them. I came to know more of them by meeting up with them, exhanging thoughts, ideas, stories, and experiences personally.

Lotsa friends highlighted to me that it's a good tool to get connected and to be updated on whatever stuffs going on to that specific person. I'd agree to that, no questions asked :)

Facebook, or any other internet-related tools can be very useful in various ways. However, I can say it's a good starter or "igniter" but let us NOT just stop there.... let us NOT allow these things to degrade our level of connection and communication with people most especially to love ones and close treasured friends :)

Let's log-off and meet up with them personally - a deeper, more genuine, more meaningful and enjoyable way of getting connected! =)

***

1 comment:

seahorse27 said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly :P