Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Making Decisions.

"What's wrong with being number two?" - This is one of the many liners I like from the "Tuesdays with Morrie" movie we've watched (I've read the book too though), during the retreat last weekend. I paused upon hearing it, and thought that there's really nothing wrong with it unless it has got something to do with "morality" issue (message me if you want to deep dive on this).

Talk about being a person who always wanted to be the number one and be on top of everything especially during my schooling days - half-way of my college/uni days, I have come to realize that there's really nothing wrong with it. That's just the way it goes and it's a matter of what standpoint or paradigm you're seeing it.

The above title is basically the second key learning I managed to grasp during the said retreat.

Making Decisions.

While is that so, I'm not really sure why the urge of writing about it came first and I thought of kicking this blog off with "What's wrong with being number two?" statement LOL. Just a head's up on the first one though - Love, Life, and Death (soon to be blogged! lol)

Making a decision about a certain thing is indeed and really not easy especially if your desire is for the good of everybody (talk about being the decision maker of the family at a young age? lol). However, I'd say there's always the so-called "pros and cons" for every angle and very seldom that we'll fall into what they call it a "win-win" situation. And as such, that's what makes decision making quite a challenge and for some "scary" if I may say so. Ofcourse, we are responsible for our own "decision/s" (although by right, it's originally "we are responsible for our own action" lol) and more often than not, there are certain consequences to it.

I was trying to recall my "stenography" or "short hand" ability during the retreat to write down as much learnings I can write but surprisingly when I was reviewing my notes, this learning isn't in my notebook! I guess my mind and heart managed to capture it vividly and remained deep within.

Pastor Victor slightly talked about decision making that night and I like it the way he has stated things related to it - I described it as "spiritually realistic!" Short and direct but impactful. He said not to be afraid of making decisions most especially if your relationship with God is healthy. Yeah, we may have the tendency to make mistakes in deciding but if your relationship with God is that good... for sure God is there to help us and keep us from being drowned if ever the decision wasn't the right one - made me realize to be proactively conscious and cautious how's my relationship and communing with Him! I then began to recall every decision I made in which I experience the so-called "failure" and then assessed how was my relationship with God then hehehe... There were a few that really hoaned me and made me stronger and if I may say better... and there were some as well that really broke me to the "nth" times. Some of those, my relationship with God was kinda "so-so" only. Somehow, it figures with some of my past experiences..lol..

Well, Pastor Victor used a very "typical" example. What else? Choosing "the one" when it comes to marriage (somehow it was a bit subjective for guys though..lol). I was shaking my head and smiled..lol... indeed, this is one of the "all-time favourites" as an example. While he highlighted the importance of having a healthy relationship with God, he also reiterated that "never ever make a decision unless you hear from God clearly". He emphasized the act of "waiting" upon what God is saying. But, the good and realistic side of what he said in that specific example is that.... just in case you really think that you are bound of time and "biologically" you can't wait that long to hear from God, he said "choose the girl who can help you grow with God." Somehow, I can agree to that but felt a bit sad 'coz it was subjective for guys. But hey! I realized it can be applied as well for women! :P What do you think?

So much for that.

Anyhow, yeah making decisions isn't easy. I remember once... I shared to some friends that I want my "man" to make all the decisions and that I can only give suggestions but the final decision will coming from "him" and all I'd do is to support that.... I'd say probably not really this time. I guess each one of us should know the importance of making decisions and decide on our own. Somehow for married couples, I'd say both parties should agree at "a" common decision since the two has become one already.

Anyways, whatever decision each one of us need to make - be assured that God will always be in control and will help us most importantly if we are anchoring unto Him constantly.

Take care now.

***

No comments: