Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A boy's father-figure...

"A boy without a father figure is like an explorer without a map."

This is a significant and heavy one-liner included in the "Introduction" of the current book I'm reading, "The Way of the Wild Heart" (A map for the masculine journey) by John Eldredge. I don't really know what brought me interested into reading this book. However, with just the introduction itself, it made me more eager and interested to finish it soon! The author was kinda "talkin'" to his men readers and surprisingly sounded like talkin' to women readers along the way also - referring to mommies raising boys. Uhhhmmm....Well.. probably because I've finish the book "Captivating", which is the "woman" version of this book so might as well read the man's version huh!

Anyhow, I just started the book! And I have felt and recognized already the importance of a father to a "boy"! Made me think of my one and only brother back home and tried to recall how's his relationship with my dad and vice-versa :S Errr.. I can say.. it wasn't that really close and good though - that is based on my observation. I can say that they have quite a bit of generation gap since my brother was born when my father was like 42 years old already!

Then I remember my cousin. He purposely married like so early... I can't really recall but I think he got married even before he reached his 30's! His reason? He has mentioned to me that he wants his children (especially if a son) to be like his brother or friend also and not just his son... so that they can get along well.... I'd say.. he did make sense! and I think my cousin's goal is really to be able to be a good father-figure to his son! My nephew is like around 8 years old now =)

Then made me think about my "guy" friends who somehow had some issues with the "dad" thingy. I have a couple of close friends whereby their dads have left them or something like that :( As I thought of them, my heart sank because of so much concern... I ended up closing my eyes and uttered a simple prayer for them having at least a good-father figure even if it wasn't their own-biological father. Made me suddenly mad a bit about my niece's dad abandoning her.... Good thing... our baby ZyriLLe is a girl (she's our angel!) - at least mommies can handle =P

Anyhow, I shall continue reading the book and will add up some postings should there be a leading for me to do so...

So guys... who's your father-figure? If you don't have yet... I'd say... look for one so you won't get lost and be a useless explorer/wanderer :)

And for those men who have one way or another abandon a son... please think twice if you want your son/s to be the same. Be a man! and be responsible enough of your "actions"!!!

***

No comments: