Sunday, December 21, 2008

..mothers' patience, fathers' influence... both's love!

Last night, I had an opportunity to be able to watch one "play" somewhere in Penang town area - a true-to-life based story of a man who became a drug addict and that being in and out of the prison.

The drama started with a scene where the father went home drunk! Ofcourse, what do you expect the wife/mother will do? Errr... kinda nag to the hubby right? LOL. Uhhmm.. maybe the wife was arguing with the husband probably asking him to change and all since they already have a baby (the man - still a baby that time)....

Well... since the play was half hokkien and half English (thank God! It's half English!). I can somehow make sense of the hokkien lines in between, thanks to Lay Ching for translating some of the dialogue lines for me =). If I'm not mistaken though, the dad didn't have any job at all? Not really sure though... Anyhow.. the first scene ended showing the wife/mother running away from that house with all her stuffs leaving the baby to the granny.. and leaving the hubby for good!

Somehow, certain childhood memories of mine flashed back. I remember myself running here and there beside the high-way looking for my mom and my dad. If my memory served me right, my father was drunk that night and I dunno really what happened why I ended up being home alone that I went out to chase my mom and dad... Probably because of drunkenness he went out of the house and because my mom was worried, she chased my dad probably tried to convince to be home instead! My dad was once a drunkard! I think.. if my mom was not that patient enough to bear my dad's attitude "before", she may have left me and my sister also that time. I thank God for a patient mother! That i will always take note - be patient (talk about hubby-wife matters?).

Next couple of scene showed about the father taking drugs at home! Can you imagine? And so this ah-boy sneaked through the window watching what was his dad is doing. The dad left all his drug paraphernalias just somewhere in the table. So, from a boy what would you expect? So the boy got curious and tried all these drug-related stuffs. Indeed, the father has influenced the boy. So, as early as 11 year's old the boy have learned to take drugs :(

Another scene was shown whereby the boy was trying to show his drawing to the dad but the dad just ignored it... Sigh... what a dad huh! Anyways.. the boy ended up stowing away (stokwa-pinoy term) and was led into a very bad path with drug addicts and pushers...

I began to think again, was my father that bad? I don't think so... He's only unknown to me whenever he's drunk! Drunkenness sucks! Anyways, I began to think and recall my memories with my father. I can remember that during his normal state, he used to carry me over his shoulders... once or twice, he did manage to teach me and help me on my academic assignments when I was in primary.... and once.. I was running toward him and jumped up to him the moment I knew he arrived from Manila (we were in a province/kampung that time)... I used to give him his slippers whenever he arrived from work and take off his shoes =)... Secondary days - we used to chat on the staircase sharing his escapades and good ol' days. He will always walk me to the jeepney stop early in the morning on the way to my work in Manila.

Indeed the role of a mother and a father in a family is very very vital to an individual. The parents are the primary set of people that a child look-up to and have a great influence in this child's growing up years and eventually as an adult.

I admire those who are single parents who managed to raise their child/children alone because I can say that even if both parents are present, it's already hard to do parenting, how much more if you're a single parent.

mother's patience, father's influence, the love of both! =)

No comments: